Tennis

Syracuse tennis falls to Boston College, 5-2

Courtesy of Syracuse Athletics

SU has now lost six of seven.

Syracuse (2-6, 0-2 Atlantic Coast) fell, 5-2, Sunday afternoon at Boston College (6-4, 1-1). SU has now lost six of seven.

Gabriela Knutson and Miranda Ramirez revitalized their first doubles partnership for Syracuse. They won 6-3 over Dasha Possokhova and Kylie Wilcox, but that was SU’s only doubles win. In third doubles, Asiya Dair and Jackie Urbinati defeated Syracuse’s Anna Shkudun and Maria Tritou, 6-1. Boston College clinched the doubles point by winning in second doubles, with Lexi Borr and Emily Safron defeating Dina Hegab and Nicole Mitchell, 6-2, to give BC an early 1-0 lead.

Shkudun played first singles for the second match in a row for the Orange, losing to BC’s Dair, 6-3, 6-0. Tritou lost next, winning her first set but dropping the next two to Wilcox in fourth singles, 6-2, 5-7, 2-6.

Knutson won her first set 7-5, but dropped the next two, 6-7 and 4-6, to lose to Borr in second singles. Safron defeated Syracuse’s Hegab in straight sets in fifth singles, 6-0, 6-4. Libi Mesh won her sixth singles match over Jackie Urbinati in a tiebreaker, after the result of the full match had already been decided.

Ramirez continued her winning streak in singles for Syracuse. She last lost in SU’s second match of the season, when they played Columbia. Since then, she rattled off five singles wins in a row, a streak broken up only by an abandonment of her match against Denver. Sunday, Ramirez beat Possokhova of BC, 7-5, 7-5.

Syracuse hosts Pittsburgh (2-3, 0-2) on Friday at Drumlins Country Club.