Meeting to be held over proposed public art installations in Syracuse

According to a plan authored by the Syracuse Public Art Commission in 2012, public art is a "community priority" in Syracuse.

A joint meeting will be held Thursday in-between two Common Council meetings regarding a proposal to install artworks in downtown Syracuse.

The Council’s Neighborhood Preservation and Economic Development, Downtown & Metropolitan Planning committees will meet at noon in the SyraStat Room on the second floor of City Hall.

The purpose of the meeting is for councilors to discuss a proposal to “install several public artworks” along the Connective Corridor and Civic Strip in downtown Syracuse, Common Councilors Jean Kessner and Khalid Bey said in a news release about the meeting. The art pieces are proposed to become part of the city’s permanent public art collection.

The Council will have a chance in the spring to approve the proposal, Kessner and Bey added.

“This meeting is an opportunity to learn more about the city’s public art program and to be briefed on the specifics of the proposed artworks, including descriptions, fabrication details and maintenance requirements,” they said.

Kessner chairs the Neighborhood Preservation committee, while Bey chairs the Economic Development, Downtown & Metropolitan Planning committee.

The Syracuse Public Art Commission authored in 2012 a Public Art Plan for the city. The plan “outlines the City of Syracuse’s principles, policy and procedures for the municipal public,” according to the plan document. The goals of the plan include making public art a “community priority” in Syracuse; ensuring diversity of public art in the city; capitalizing on the economic opportunities associated with public art; and establishing downtown as the “public art showcase of the region.”