State

Cuomo announces $70 million package to a second round of his Upstate Revitalization Initiative

Jacob Greenfeld | Assistant Photo Editor

New York state Gov. Andrew Cuomo unveiled the second phase of his Upstate Revitalization Initiative on Monday.

New York state Gov. Andrew Cuomo unveiled a $70 million package as phase two of his Upstate Revitalization Initiative Monday.

The package comes with two major components: $50 million for constructing a multi-purpose expo center and gondola connecting the New York State Fairgrounds and Lakeview Amphitheater and $20 million for setting up an on-ramp on Interstate 690 and making improvements to the Orange parking lot at the Fairgrounds to ease traffic congestion, according to a press release from Cuomo’s office.

He also announced the annual state fair will gain an additional day to operate — from 12 days in previous years to 13 days in 2017 — to attract more tourists, accepting a recommendation from the State Fair Task Force.

The task force, comprised of 21 local officials and industry leaders and led by Onondaga County Executive Joanie Mahoney, was put together by Cuomo to strengthen the phase one task force.

“I look forward to continuing the State Fair’s momentum with phase two and the additional $70 million in investments to get it done,” Cuomo said in the release.

In addition, Cuomo said new features such as the Aerial Sky Ride and four shows will be offered in the fairgrounds in coming months. The ride will become available to the public on Aug. 23, the first day of the fair.

“The new State Fair will bring exciting shows, artisans, concerts and local food and beverages to visitors from across the state and the nation year-round for generations to come,” Cuomo said in the release.