Tennis

Syracuse tennis loses 6-1 to No. 7 Miami as 5-game win streak ends

Zach Barlow | Asst. Photo Editor

Maria Tritou lost both her singles and doubles matches on Friday. Syracuse is now 12-7 with one regular-season match remaining.

No. 32 Syracuse (12-7, 6-7 Atlantic Coast) had its five-game winning streak snapped on Friday as it lost 6-1 to No.7 Miami (16-4, 11-2) in Coral Gables, Florida.

Syracuse started the day by losing a 2-0 sweep in doubles. The duo of Gabriella Knutson and Valeria Salazar never had a chance to make a difference as the pairings of Dina Hegab and Nicole Mitchell as well as Anna Shkudun and Maria Tritou lost their matches by scores of 6-2 and 6-3, respectively.

Syracuse went down 1-0 after losing the doubles point and losing its first four singles matches officially put the match out of reach.

Salazar lost her singles match in two sets, 6-3, 6-2. Tritou then lost her match in two sets, 6-0, 6-4. Next, Shkudun lost her match in two sets, 6-1, 6-2. Fourth, Libi Mesh also got swept in two sets, 6-1, 6-4.

Knutson won her match, 7-5, 6-3, to secure Syracuse’s only point of the afternoon and avoid the shutout.

With the match already won by Miami, Hegab lost her match, 7-5, 6-2.

Syracuse plays its final game of the regular season against No. 30 Virginia Tech (14-7, 7-5) on Sunday at Drumlins Country Club before heading to the ACC Tournament in Cary, North Carolina on Wednesday.